Monday, August 5, 2013

Week 2 in the field

Hola familia mia! Its your favorite missionary again:)

This week was so good, but so fast! Hahah the hard pace of missionary work finally hit me and Saturday I was EXHAUSTED!! But in the best sort of way. Its getting hotter here, hard to believe but I am loving it all the same! Its funny because different people keep calling us and asking how I´m doing but really i am loving this. I have waited since October for this and I´m finally here!!
I thought I would give you a little synopsis of all our investigators right now, so here we go!
Happy is Nigerian and she has had the saddest life, contrary to her name. She is about 26 and has 2 little girls but the government took them away because she couldn´t feed them. Her "marido" lives in Switzerland and only pays enough attention to her to send her money for rent. She can´t understand why any of this happened and it breaks my heart. She has a baptismal date, but fails us a lot so we´ll see how it goes with preparing her for it!
Then the Romanians. They are a family but the adults have said that they don´t want to change, they are really Evangelical Christians. BUT the kids (there are 3 over the age of 8) have all said that they know that this is the true church and that they want to be baptized in it. The only problem is that their church preaches that its an abomination for children to be baptized and so they think it would be a sin for them to be baptized before the age of 16. We are working with them right now. Seriously those little Romanians capture the hearts of everyone they encounter. We brought a member to one of their lessons last week and by the end, she was talking all about what she was going to do for that poor family. Its the grandparents, a few aunts and uncles and 8 cousins living in one piso right now and one of the little girls´mom is dying of cancer. We don´t know how much longer she has but I would be surprised if she lives longer than my transfer.
Tina and Peggy are a mother and daugher, she´s from Nigeria but Peggy was born here. We are just waiting for her to get her papers so she can get married to her "marido" and get baptized. They are so sweet! Its funny because sometimes we have to teach two lessons, one in English for Tina and another in Spanish for Peggy. They are sweet and have given us a LOT of references already!
THEN our miracle Saturday. We had a cita set up with a future and we tried so hard to get a member there since his wife couldn´t come, but nobody was free Saturday, so we had to cancel. It was really sad and really disappointing. And even though Hermana Johnson was way crushed, she was determined to keep working (she´s a great trainer!) so we went to Tina and Peggy´s and wonder of wonders, WE GOT TWO NEW INVESTIGATORS THERE!! It was amazing! She had a friend, Ana Maria, over and this lady is so prepared. She knows everything and is super excited for us to come back! She´s from Poland and speaks a little English and even less Spanish so its a good thing we have the Spirit so she can understand!! Hahaha! We´ll see how teaching her goes today! Oh she has the most beautiful baby girl, 4 months old! Peggy was holding her and saw me making faces at her, so she tried to hand her to me, but when I told her I couldn´t hold babies as a missionary, she looks at me and goes, "just take the nametag off!" hahaha what a demon! And so tempting... BUT I´m obedient :)
 I think the hardest thing is that we are serving in a really poor area and the stories of these people just breaks my heart. The other day we sat in a lesson with Happy while she just cried and cried about her babies and it broke my heart. Both Hermana Johnson and I just lost it in that lesson. I can´t imagine going through what these people go through but i know that the gospel can help them, if they let Christ in.
So the ward split on Sunday and our area straddles the divide. Actually it cut most of the missionary´s areas so they are redrawing the malaga areas this week. I should hopefully find out tomorrow what area we will continue working and what area goes to the elders.
 
I really am enjoying it here, Hermana Johnson is great and super chill and we get along really well. I´m definitely going to get fat from all this ice cream people keep giving me and I´m trying not to let my obsession with Spanish tortilla show out because I really don´t want to get fat. BUT SPANISH FOOD IS BOMB!
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment