Thursday, September 18, 2014

September 15th

This week was nuts. Yesterday at church, I saw a girl and thought, "Wow, she must have just gone to the bathroom and taken her bun out. Pity, it was really cute." Then I realized SHE WORE THE BUN TO CHURCH LAST SUNDAY!! This week went by so fast I am confusing the weeks at church.
Cool story of the week: On Thursdays, we offer service at a soup kitchen until lunchtime and always leave STARVING and as we were walking home, this REALLY GOOD bakery that is on the walk home came to my mind. BUT we were planning on taking the bus home and the bakery is beyond the bus stop, so I was like, "well if nobody is at the bus stop it means we missed the bus so we will keep walking and go by the bakery on the way home. SO if nobody is at the bus stop, we can go to the bakery, but if there are people there, we´ll wait for the bus and just not eat donuts." When we got to the bus stop, there were no people to be found, so we kept walking. I said nothing about the bakery to my companion, but I really could NOT get it out of my head! I was thinking about how ridiculous I am and how food driven I am and almost didn´t suggest going to the bakery, but right as we passed it, my feet took me into it. Seriously. I know you are all laughing right now but it was so odd. Here I am, standing at the counter, feeling like a total fatty whose feet lead her to chocolatey goodness when the lady working at the counter looks at my nametag, looks at my face and with shock in her eyes goes, "Where is that church?? I have been looking for it since I moved here to Fuengirola. I´m from Mexico and I´m baptized and everything!" THE LORD LED MY STOMACH TO THIS LESS ACTIVE MEMBER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Weirdest revelation I have ever received in my life. We got her number and are meeting with her now! We just laughed afterwards when we realized what happened!

Sad news: N.. did NOT give permission for C.. to be baptized this Saturday:( She wants to do it all together, but she´s not ready at all to be baptized and recognizes it but she wants C.. to wait for her, even though C.. just wants to do it NOW. She cried during the lesson when her mom said no.  I know the day she comes to church, she will be jumping up and down begging for us to baptize C.., but she´s pretty depressed and refuses to go to church until she feels better. I don´t know what to do to help this woman because she really is clinically depressed, but has no money to see a doctor or anything. BUT neither she nor C.. can progress until she gets better.
Happy news: S.. and A.. sent for the papers. THEY SENT FOR THE PAPERS AND NOW THE NEXT STEP IS ASKING FOR AN APPOINTMENT AT TOWNHALL AND THEY ARE GETTING MARRIED. I am so happy.
 
We did a musical number in church yesterday, "Savior, Redeemer of my soul" and it was BEAUTIFUL. One of the elders in our ward was first chair violinist in all his orchestras and the other is an incredible tenor, so it was the perfect combination and I loved being able to accompany them. I love music.
I have a sad story for you. We watched "only a stonecutter" with a less active this week and there is a scene where the son is reunited with his family for the first time in years and as they hugged, i started to cry. It was too close to home. This week you would be happy to know we were fed everyday but Saturday and Sunday! The members are taking good care of us and really making sure I don´t look skinny when I get home!! hahaha but it's okay cause I LOVE south american cooking. So much rice.
 A story that happened at church actually happened saturday at church. a 70 came to Malaga to give a fireside for missionaries and investigators and we thought it started at 630, so all of us from fuen got there at 630. Turns out it started at 730, BUT right as we got there, there was a woman standing outside the church and she went up to us and asked if she could go in. We said of course and went in a gave her a tour of the church. She said that she has passed by the church before, but it was all closed up but that she wanted to go in and she had been standing outside and was about to leave when we pulled up and she felt she needed to talk to us. As we showed her the baptismal font, she said that she is looking for a church to be baptized in and that she wants to do it like Jesus Christ. We invited her to baptism and she said yes!! She lives in the area of the Assistants to President, but man this woman is incredible. She stayed for the fireside and loved it. If we hadn´t gotten the time wrong, she would have left and we might not have ever met her.

 My funny story for the week is that we were walking to a lesson and were turning the corner around a building when a man on a bicicycle coming from the other direction was doing the same thing and SLAMMED on his brakes right before plowing me down. As he stops, he looks up saying sorry and then really looks at us and goes, "WOW!! QUE GUAPASSSSSSSSSSSS (How good looking)!! Una morena (brown) y una blanquita (white)!!" it was hilarious and all we could do was just laugh and walk away. One really nice thing about spain is that you never have to worry about your self image because all the men in the street will remind you that you look good. I have just become accustomed to being called guapa (good looking) or preciosa (precious) or bonita (pretty). Its really nice.
LOVE, hermana folsom

No comments:

Post a Comment