Tuesday, November 4, 2014

October 20th

 
Ra... SUCH A ROLLERCOASTER! On Tuesday, he was GLOWING. Seriously, he had this incredible spirit about him all weekend and we were excitedly planning his baptism. Wednesday was excellent and he found out that he was going to be able to stay in the kiosk during the winter too! BUT then there were some family trials.  He cried all day Thursday and Friday because of what family members said and did and when we went over on Saturday it was like back at square 1 with him. The glow was EXTINGUISHED. We had planned to go to his house for the first time and had a member with us who is preparing to go on her mission in December so we could go in his car and everything, but when we got their, he said he didn´t feel like talking religion and that we could just go to a restaurant and talk. So we went to a restaurant and the first thing he did was look us in the eyes and order a beer! The spirit was NOT there. The longer we spent their talking with him, the oddest thing happened to me. I had this odd heat spread from my stomach up to my ears and the more time we spent, the less I could hear until we reached a point when I couldn´t hear ANYTHING they were saying, it was just a loud noise in my ears. I cut him off as he was explaining to us what happened with his family and I said, "I cannot hear a THING any of you are saying. We have to leave. Now." So they all got up real quick (I guess I said it kinda strongly...) and we went to the church. As soon as we entered into the church, the ringing in my ears left and the spirit FLOODED into all of us. We had a great lesson with him and helped him see that during hard times is the WORST time to forsake God. He was really repentant and committed to coming to church and to prepare to be baptized next weekend. I am so grateful that we got to bring him to teh church because it changed EVERYTHING! We called him before church to make sure he was coming and he goes, "Hermanas, where are you! I´ve been here for 30 minutes already!" HE CAME TO CHURCH EARLY TO MAKE SURE HE WOULD COME!
We went with S.. and An.. to the townhall and witnessed their papers so they will get a date on Wednesday! We had a perfect lesson with them afterwards at the mission home with the Deeres. I can´t wait to be an awesome member present like them someday! It was perfect and they helped them so much. I love this little couple. And the YM are all obsessed with S..! Haha they are all asking to come over and hang out with them! Its hilarious. Almost every week they have somebody over. Its because they are the only young couple in the ward and S.. is super fun. I am so happy. He cracks me up cause he goes, "I just know taht the second I have my rights as a member, I am going to get a calling in YMs." And its so true. Ha I love that couple!
So the other day I was asking myself, "Really, how many people from how many different countries have I taught?" So I started writing it down. I HAVE TAUGHT PEOPLE FROM 42 DIFFERENT COUNTRIES DURING MY MISSION!! What the heck! I don´t think you could say that anywhere else in the world but in Spain. I love this multiculture madness here.

RANDOM THINGS
 
Funny you should talk about continuing at home. I´ve begun my list of people with whom I need to share the gospel with when I get back. I think those few weeks I´m at home will be some busy ones. The problem is I DON´T KNOW HOW TO BE A MEMBER MISSIONARY! It will be odd taking the backseat in lessons and backing up what the missionaries teach. But I still have a LOT of time to be the missionary still!
Hmm we teach this persian guy that works at a bar by our house and in his downtime, we go teach him inside while his clients all get drunk outside (bars are different here than in the states. It's like more of a restaurant or a cafe) and he always gives us hot chocolate or herbal tea or something and so we were sitting inside by the counter talking to him yesterday when this DRUNK woman staggers in to pay her bill. She starts speaking in really broken Spanish and I asked where she was from and she told me she´s scottish, so we started talking in english. She ordered another drink and points at it, looks at me and goes, "Oh shoot. This is my 3rd. Tomorrow, just hot chocolate and a chocolate cake. I´m going to regret this later." And she proceeded to tell me the story of her life. She was so drunk but like really rational and was like, "You know what, my daughter lives in Ireland with her mormon aunt and uncle. Here is my number. Lets talk next week. I need God in my life."
 
I look forward to being able to talk to people whenever I want (like friends and fam) but I´m going to miss being so involved in this work. I love seeing people change and seeing the joy that comes from them accepting the gospel. Even being a member missionary, its not the same.
My scripture for you is Alma 31:26-35,38. I need to improve my personal prayers. This prayer by Alma is incredible. He sincerely prays for the people who he was there to serve and he is really just TALKING to his Father in heaven. I included verse 38 too because this really hit me this week, they were exceedingly blessed during their ministry among the zoramites and this is the reason we are given why: "Now this was according to the prayer of Alma; and this because he prayed in faith." Prayer has SO much power. As we pray in faith, miracles really do happen!
I love you all so much. I want you all to know how much I love this work. I loved Elder Bednar´s talk from Conference because it perfectly explained why I am here. Sometimes members tell us, "Oh thats so nice you came out here to experience the world and to learn." And I get a little annoyed when they say that and try to say (with as much love as I can put into my voice) "I am not here to experience life. I am not here to learn Spanish. I am not here to enjoy Europe. I am here to invite others to come unto Christ. I am here to help in the work of salvation. I came out that I might save but one soul. I am here for the eternal salvation of my brothers and sisters." I testify that this is the work of salvation, this is not my work, but His and He is here to help us in it. I am so grateful to be here serving Him as a full-time missionary and SO grateful He has permitted me to be but a small part in the salvation of His children. I love this work. I love you all!

https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/come-and-see?lang=eng
Hermana Folsom

No comments:

Post a Comment